CUHMA Committee terms of reference
- The Board of Directors (BOD) may establish Standing Committees and ad hoc committees as it deems necessary or dissolve these committees at any time by simple resolution of BOD.
- The Chair and members of each committee are appointed by the President with input from the BOD, except as otherwise stated below.
- The Chair of each committee or their alternate is responsible for arranging meetings and providing reasonable notice to committee members.
- The Chair or any committee member that has concerns about the committee is expected to notify the President or other BOD member.
- The BOD may accept, reject or amend any recommendations from committees.
- The BOD can change the membership of any committee at any time by a simple resolution of BOD.
- Committee members must comply with the BOD Code of Conduct, complete the annual Conflict of Interest Declaration and comply with all policies related to harassment, intimidation, discrimination and misconduct.
- The BOD may permit Committees to establish sub-committees for specific defined purposes.
- Committee membership must take account of geographic distribution, clinical and academic factors, gender, regular and associate members, conflict of interest.
- Each committee must submit a report of its meetings or activities prior to BOD meeting as requested by the President or BOD.
- Committee Chairs are responsible for calling meetings, coordinating activities and reporting to the BOD.
- The President shall be an ad hoc member of every committee that they are not a regular member of.
- The required Committees are set out below.
Composition: President, Vice-President, President-elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Past-President
- Review Conflict of Interest Declarations
- Strategic planning
- Operations and staffing
- Review any concerns of harassment, intimidation or misconduct and appoint and investigate as deemed appropriate. This may include appointing a review and appeals committee.
- Ensure compliance with the By-laws and applicable legislation and regulations
- International relations
- Government and health authority relations
Finance, Budget and Membership
Chair: Julie Malone (CHT, NS)
- Chaired by Treasurer
- Reports to every BOD meeting or as requested by the BOD
- Prepares budgets
- Oversees all financial matters
- Administers membership
- Maintaining and following membership policies
Communications, Website and Publications
Chair: Sherri Ferguson (MSc., BC)
- Liaise with Management and the Finance, Budget and Membership Committees
- All communications with CUHMA membership and the public
- Organizes and maintains the website and any publications
Standards of Practice - Hyperbaric Medicine
1. Hyperbaric Facility Accreditation, Recognition and Safety
Chair: Ron Linden (MD, ON)
- Advises the BOD on all matters related to facility accreditation, recognition and safety
2. Clinical Guidelines
Chair: Geoff Zbitnev (MD, NL)
- Considers clinical standards of practice and ethics
- Responsible for producing Clinical Guidelines
Standards of Practice - Diving Medicine
1. Recreational, Technical and Free-Diving
Chair: Joanne Provencher (MD, PQ)
- Liaise with training agencies
- Considers diving medicine standards
- Make recommendation about fitness to dive
2. Occupational, Scientific, Public Safety and Military Diving
Chair: Mike Hatcher (MD, ON)
- Considers diving medicine standards
- Make recommendations about fitness to dive
- Liaise and provide input to CSA diving and hyperbaric committees
- Participate in international activities related to diving medicine
Research, Education and Professional Development
Chair: Ken Ledez (MD, NF)
- Educational and professional development programs for all categories of CUHMA membership
- Organization of the Annual meetings
- Promotes high quality research
- Research ethics
Chair: George Harpur (MD, ON)
- Makes recommendations to the BOD on awards
- Solicit nominations for the awards 6 months before the AGM
- Report recommendations to the board at least 6 weeks before each AGM
Governance and Elections
Chair: Paul Cervenko (MD, ON)
- Maintaining and following election policies
- Organization of all matters related to CUHMA elections